1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and onion; cook 8-10 min., breaking into 3/4-in. crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; pour off drippings. Return beef to skillet; stir in gravy and peas and season with pepper.
2. Spoon beef mixture into 2-quart baking dish. Top with potatoes, spreading evenly; sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Bake in 450°F oven 25-30 min. or until bubbly and cheese begins to brown.
* Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
* Cook's Tip: Any type of prepared mashed potatoes may be used in this recipe: instant, refrigerated, frozen or homemade.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff