My Shopping List
Tempeh Avocado Sushi Roll with Soy Dipping Sauce
Courtesy of The Soyfoods Council
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 c. sushi rice or short grain rice
+ 2 c. water
+ pinch salt
+ 3 Tbsp. seasoned rice wine vinegar
+ 1 Tbsp. sugar
+ 2 sheets nori (seaweed wraps)
+ 1 pkg. baked tempeh
+ 1 avocado
+ soy sauce
+ chopped chives
+ 1 bamboo rolling mat for sushi
What to do:
1. Measure rice into a strainer. Hold strainer under cold running water and rinse rice for several minutes.
2. Put rice into a rice cooker or medium saucepan. Pour in the 2 c. water. Add a pinch of salt. Cover and cook according to cooker directions or until rice is just tender, about 20 min.
3. While rice is cooking, measure vinegar and sugar into a 1-cup glass measure and microwave on HIGH for 10 sec. Stir to dissolve the sugar
4. Spread the cooked rice in a 9x13x2-in. or other flat pan
5. Add the vinegar mixture and stir to mix with the rice and to cool the rice.
6. With a sharp knife on a cutting board (with adult supervision) cut the tempeh into slices 1/4 in. thick.
7. Wash the knife and cutting board and cut the avocado in half. With a spoon, scoop out the pit. Use the spoon to scoop the avocado out of the peel, or pull the peel off with fingers or a knife. Slice avocado into strips.
8. Wash and rinse the cutting board. Put the rolling mat on the cutting board. Put one of the pieces of nori on the mat.
9. Wet your fingers with cold water, to keep the rice from sticking. For each roll, take a handful of rice and pat it over 3/4 of the nori, to about 1/4 in. thickness, leaving one of the narrow ends of the nori uncovered..
10. Arrange half of the tempeh and avocado strips crosswise on the rice on the nori, starting at the covered end.
11. Using the mat to help you get the roll started, lift the mat and fold it over the temper and avocado. Push down gently but firmly to hold the nori in place. Using the mat to help (but not rolling it in with the nori) roll up the sushi.
12. Dip your fingers in water and moisten the very end of the uncovered nori to help seal the roll.
13. Repeat with remaining nori, rice and fillings.
14. With a sharp knife, slice each roll into 6 pieces.
15. Serve on plate with the cut sides of the roll up. Serve soy sauce in a dipping bowl.