My Shopping List
Island Sea Turtles
Courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 15 Min.
Chill Time: 30 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 12 oz. dry roasted and salted macadamia nuts
+ 1 c. flaked, sweetened coconut
+ 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter
+ 1 c. light brown sugar, packed
+ 1/2 c. light corn syrup
+ 1 c. sweetened condensed milk
+ 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
+ 12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
+ sea salt, to taste
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place macadamia nuts in 36 clusters of 4 to 7 nuts each, 2 in. apart; set aside.
2. Toast coconut in oven for about 5 min. or until lightly browned. Pulse in food processor or chop into shorter strands.
3. Butter the inside of a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Melt 1/2 c. butter over low heat. Add sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk; mix well. Increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and continue to boil, stirring frequently until mixture reaches 244°F on a candy thermometer.
4. Remove saucepan from heat, stir in vanilla and coconut. Cool slightly; spoon a tablespoon of coconut caramel over each nut cluster; cool completely.
5. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave 30 sec. on high, stir and continue to microwave in 10- to 20-sec. intervals, stirring after each. Chocolate should be smooth, but not warm. Dip tops of caramel-nut clusters in chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt. Place in refrigerator to set chocolate. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, separating layers with wax paper for up to 1 week.
Tip: To prevent the formation of sugar crystals in the caramel, wash down the sides of pan using a pastry brush dipped in water.