My Shopping List
Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
Courtesy of National Peanut Board
Serve With:Servings: 4
Rice or warmed pita bread and a garden salad.
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 15 Min.
Marinate: 30 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb) cut into 1-inch cubes
+ 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
+ 2 tsp. sesame, peanut or olive oil
+ 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro or parsley
+ 2 cloves garlic, crushed
pinch of coarsely ground black pepper
+ 8 oz. fresh mushrooms
+ 1 sweet green pepper, cut into
+ 1 sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
+ 1 small red onion, quartered and separated into layers
+ 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
+ 1 tsp. olive oil
+ 1 onion, finely chopped
+ 1 tsp, chili powder
+ 1 tsp. tomato paste
+ 2 Tbsp. water
+ 1/4 c. chunky peanut butter
+ 3/4 c. 2% milk
What to do:
1. In a medium bowl, stir together chicken, soy sauce, sesame oil, coriander, garlic and pepper. If time permits, cover chicken, place in the refrigerator and let marinate for 30 min. or overnight.
2. Preheat barbecue grill to medium-high. If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 min.
3. Thread eight long skewers alternately with the chicken and one piece of each of the vegetables. Discard any leftover chicken marinade.
4. Place skewers on greased barbecue grill. Close lid and grill for 12 to 15 min., turning several times or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce by heating oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 4 min. or until translucent.
6. Mix the chili powder with the tomato paste and water; stir into onions and cook for 1 min. Stir in the peanut butter and the milk; reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 4 min. or until mixture just begins to thicken.
* For a spicier sauce, add 1 tsp. of Cajun spice or crushed hot pepper flakes, or add a chopped seeded jalapeno pepper. Sprinkle the cooked kabobs with sesame seeds and serve hot with the peanut dipping sauce.
* Recipe courtesy of the National Peanut Board. For more delicious recipes, please visit
Calories: 400; Total Fat: 18g; Cholesterol: 100mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 46g; Sodium: 940mg;