My Shopping List
Amelia's Italian Pork Pita Pockets
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Serve With:Servings: 4
Freshly sliced fruit
Prep Time: 5 Min.
Cook Time: 10 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 8 thin boneless pork chops, about 2 oz. each
+ 2 green peppers, each cut into 8 lengthwise strips
+ 2 portabello mushrooms, cut into 8 slices
+ 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges, separated
+ 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
+ 1 Tbsp. olive oil
+ 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
+ 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
+ 1 tsp. fennel seed
+ 4 pita pockets, cut in halves
+ 4 slices mozzarella, low fat, part skim, cut in half
What to do:
1. Heat oven to broil. Coat a large baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Arrange pork chops and vegetables in a single layer on baking pan.
3. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and fennel seed. Brush mixture on both sides of pork. Broil 5 to 6 inches from heat for about 5 to 6 min., or until pork has internal temperature on a thermoneter reads 145°F, followed by a 3-min. rest time and vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from oven; divide pork and vegetables among pita pocket breads.
4. Add 1 slice of cheese to each sandwich.
* Nutritional information does not include suggested side dishes
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 188; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 75mg; Total Carbs: 21g; Protein: 21g; Sodium: 280mg;